Re: Proposal: non-PC ISA bus support

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt (bh40@calva.net)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 15:30:19 EST

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000, Richard Henderson <rth@twiddle.net> wrote:

>> That mean that we can only show one of the PCI busses as containing
>> legacy ISA-like devices.
>
>So hard-wire it to hose 0, or make it a kernel config option.
>That takes care of booting, and someone's strange desire to use
>svgalib. More than that can be handled by X without access to
>ISA at all.

Well, that would work (with X) provided that I implement a remapping
mecanism similar to Alpha, since currently, with all busses beeing bus
number 0, X will be messed up.

It works somewhat, because we have no devfn conflit (fortunately), the
kernel config space access routines can sort out the mess at the lowest
level, and XFree on those machines is only used in fbdev mode on top of
aty128fb or atyfb. But that's definitely not a good long term solution.

I was wondering if I would simply need to hard-wire it to hose 0 (AGP),
hose 1 (ext PCI) (hose 2 is internal to the ASIC and has the IEE1394 and
Ethernet), or make it configurable. I beleive I'll default to hoze 1
(PCI) since the AGP slot is usually filled with an ATI card already
handled by a fbdev with no need for a legacy VGA driver.

Ben.