Re: Sparc64 and ATI fb, cannot mmap() - why?

From: James Simmons (jsimmons@acsu.buffalo.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 08:19:06 EST

> This "kludge" API to specify the hard-coded offsets predates fbcon,
> VESA, and other standards by several years so at least on our Sun
> frame buffers we are stuck with it like it or not. That is unless
> we want to break all of our X servers etc.

That "kludge" solves a problem that linux fbcon can't. Cards with multiple
buffers. The current fbcon assumes one framebuffer and one mmio region.
This is just bad. In the future this is going to change. Most likely
support for multiple apertures will be modeled after solaris fbdev. The
only difference is I like to see support for things like mmapping the
Z buffer or stencil buffer etc.

Q: Why did they deprecate a.out support in linux?
A: Because a nasty coff is bad for your elf.

James Simmons [jsimmons@linux-fbdev.org] ____/|
fbdev/console/gfx developer \ o.O|
http://www.linux-fbdev.org =(_)=