Re: X dies when compiling kernel

From: Chris Meadors (clubneon@hereintown.net)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 08:21:29 EST

I get just about the same thing. I don't have to do anything to cause it
either. I just Ctrl-Alt-F1 out of X and be working on the
console. Eventually X will die. I'm waiting for it right now so I can
get the exact error message. I'm assuming it is an error with X not the
kernel. It may just be provoked by the kernel by using the drm feature
for the Voodoo (I don't see it at home with the Matrox G400, but I can't
use drm with that card).

The other thing that I see. Sometimes when I switch out of X to the
console I get this pattern of black 'b's on a red background corrupting my
display (my attempt to paste an example here with gpm didn't work so
well).

There we go, just died:

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".

[drm:drm_release] *ERROR* Process 114 dead, freeing lock for context 1
xinit: connection to X server lost.
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

Anyway, unless someone here thinks this is really a kernel problem, you
(we) should do what the error says and report it to the XFree people.

bOn Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Ben BFord bwrote:

> Every time I compile a Bkernel, bmy X session dies and I Bget bthe
following
> error in syslog:
>
> Jun B20 b01:04:50 Frankie kernel: [drm:Bdrm_brelease] *ERROR* Process
9134
> dead, freeing Block bfor context 8
>
> This has happened Bever bsince the .40's; currently ac21 Bcompiling
> bac22-riel. I am running Xfree4 Bw/ ba Voodoo3 3500. It's a B400Mhz
bw/
> 192mb of ram, so I Bdoubt bit is running short on resources. BAny
bideas?

--
...and sometimes, late at night BI bget these twitches.  Like dead people
Bget.