Re: Sparc64 and ATI fb, cannot mmap() - why?

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 07:32:38 EST

   Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 14:02:01 +0200 (CEST)
   From: Francis Galiegue <fg@mandrakesoft.com>

   Just a question... Why isn't this done in the framebuffer drivers
   directly? I know that VESA is a standard, but still, it's a real
   kludge to have to specify the offsets each time... Or at least that
   the offset be part of struct fb_fix_screeninfo?

This "kludge" API to specify the hard-coded offsets predates fbcon,
VESA, and other standards by several years so at least on our Sun
frame buffers we are stuck with it like it or not. That is unless
we want to break all of our X servers etc.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com