Re: IA64 version of 2.4.0-test1 has compile errors/config errors

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 18:59:42 EST

Jes Sorensen wrote:

> >> Having a dedicated mailing list per architecture to handle
> >> architecture specific questions is very useful.
>
> Jeff> I agree so long as folks can get a **WORKING** IA64 linux tree
> Jeff> from www.kernel.org. This is clearly not the case today. I am
> Jeff> concerned that Intel's IA64 effort may get a black eye if
> Jeff> everytime folks download an IA64 Linux from www.kernel.org, they
> Jeff> discover that they canot build it.
>
> I don't see your point, I download the kernel from kernel.org and
> apply David's patch and compile that - runs just fine.

It compiles with tons of warnings and errors, and wipes several config
options from .config that require the user to manually enter in the
.config file. Once you've gotten past this point, it does run just
fine. I think you should post David's patch on www.kernel.org so folks
can get the whole thing from there if they choose. At present, unless
you specifically know where to go to get the patch, and have downloaded
SKI and NUE, some folks may not know where to get this patch.

Also, in any event, someone who owns this stuff needs to fix the compile
errors with memset() and strlen() and the problem with "make config"
zapping some of the config options.

:-)

Jeff