Re: System.map

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Date: Sat Jun 17 2000 - 15:28:18 EST

Anthony Barbachan writes:

> > > Nothing at all. Especially with the newer boot loaders and BIOSes
> > > that dont have the 1024 cylinder limit
> >
> > I'm not just talking about the 1024 cylinder limit. I also like to
> > keep /boot normally unmounted: less likely to be screwed over.
> >

> I can see being even more screwed over by this. Especially if Joe
> Blow user forgets to remount /boot before upgrading the kernel or
> reinstalling lilo. Actually I can see a few pluses with having the
> kernel installed by default right where it is now. The previously
> mentioned unmounted /boot partition. / always exists while /boot
> may not, which removes the need for checking code as well as error
> recovery code in this area such as recreating /boot. Consistancy,
> the kernel has been installing by default to / since ancient "Linux"
> times.

Nope. If Joe Blow user forgets to mount /boot, then LILO will bitch
and moan and not do any damage.

With /boot normally unmounted, you don't have to worry about ext2fs
bugs trampling the wrong block, or a bad bit in RAM corrupting block
pointers.

Of course, you're never entirely safe unless you keep the computer
off. But it pays to be paranoid. Especially since I *know* the silicon
monster is out to get me.

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au