Re: PATCH: HFS write support fixed

From: willy@thepuffingroup.com
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 07:49:32 EST

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 02:23:06AM +0200, Bernd Kischnick wrote:
> I've done some extensive testing, copying several thousand files to
> HFS-partitions by several concurrent processes and reading them back.
> I've seen no problems, at least on a single-processor machine.

Hm, I think I can see one by inspection. The readdir code uses a simple
count to see where it should start reading from again. So this leads to
the following condition:

process A
readdir
 -> returns { . .. a c }, runs out of buffer room.

process B
create b

process A continues its readdir
 skips the first 4 entries { . .. a b }
 -> returns { c d e }

so an ls could show:

a c c d e

instead of either 'a b c d e' or 'a c d e', which probably violates one
or more standards and certainly violates common sense.