Re: HARD CRASH with kernels (2.2.4,12,14,15)

From: Sergey Tochilov (stoch@orc.ru)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 06:34:09 EST

Jukka Timonen wrote:
> hi,
>
> We're having same kind of symptoms on one of our server. Hardware problems
> are ruled out, and the same thing happens with SMP/UP kernels. Most often
> it's just a solid lock, sometimes same kind of messages appear that Steven
> Uggowitzers posted on linux-kernel list.
>
> This machine had also nfs-client running. When the nfs-mount was removed,
> server stays up maybe few weeks or so. It's noticeably better than before,
> but still crashes occasionally. Do you have had any luck with Andrea's
> delack-timer-5 patch? I'm little suspicious about the problem being
> nfs-related however, as nfs uses the udp protocol.
>
> terveisin,
> Jukka Timonen
> Net People Ltd.

  My primary apache box running 2.2.15 + delack-timer-5 has now 5 days of
uptime. It's almost a record but I need at least two weeks' uptime to
confirm stability. The box runs nfs-client and I'm planning to install
nfs-server (knfsd). My experience let me assert that lockup problem is not
nfs-related. The apache box crashed many times without even nfs server or
client compiled, and its crash rate didn't change after I'd installed
nfs-client.

regards
Sergey Tochilov