Value of Certifications

From: Linda Walsh (law@sgi.com)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 14:20:04 EST

Some people expressed uncertainty about the value of 'paper' certifications
that provide no increase in the security of the product in the real world.

I read an article
(http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2000/0508/web-fips-05-11-00.asp)
that talked about a "smart card" that was the first to be certified to a particular standard (FIPS 140-1). Having the features of
the card vs. being
certified is worth an estimated $1 billion dollar contract to this
company. These Smart Cards could be used, as I understand them, as the
"authenticate user" part of the CAPP or LSPP requirements.

I dunno about anyone else...but that's the type of marketshare and money
that gets my attention. Having Linux compete in the billion $$ contract
space is...well, somewhat "seductive" (not that I'm at all affected by base
considerations of such a sum of money, of course, purely from a marketshare
POV :-) ). Having that type of money trickle into the Linux space seems
like a good thing for all Linux developers (higher demand for services,
engineers, Linux software, etc). Tres cool!

-l

--
Linda A Walsh                    | Trust Technology, Core Linux, SGI
law@sgi.com                      | Voice: (650) 933-5338