2.3.99pre8 V+disk i/o performance still sucks

From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd@Op.Net)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 14:16:18 EST

I just tried my audio disk recorder, and though the performance is
definitely better than under anything since 2.3.51, its still nowhere
even close .51's levels. kswapd is still regularly chewing up 5-8% of
my CPU power, which at least on the surface seems crazy for a program
thats mlocked itself and all its pages data into memory, and is just
streaming several MB/sec to/from a disk.

In the abstract, I would not have expected kswapd to be doing
*anything* in this situation. I have essentially static memory
utilization - what the hell does it think its doing ? the only thing i
can think of sounds awful - its looking at pages owned by the buffer
cache, which are turning over at quite a high rate. that makes no
sense to me - i would have expected those pages to be re-used by
the buffer cache on demand, rather than being handled by kswapd ...

--p