2.3.99-pre7: intermittent PCMCIA crashes on loading yenta.o

From: Matt Yourst (yourst@mit.edu)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 18:23:17 EST

It seems that 2.3.99-pre7 has intermittent problems when loading PCMCIA modules
at boot time again: the system goes into a hard lockup after loading the yenta
module in random cases. Interestingly, this only happens when the modules are
rapidly loaded one after the other. (If I manually do modprobe on each module
and then start cardmgr, the problem rarely happens.) I also noticed this problem
when running pre6 off a ramdisk, which leads me to believe that it's either a
race condition, timing issue (i.e., the hardware doesn't initialize correctly)
or something triggered by the lack of many interrupts between loading modules.
If it helps, the specific machine is a Dell Inspiron 7000 with an
ne2k-compatible IBM 10baseT PC card.