Re: 2.3.99-pre7: intermittent PCMCIA crashes on loading yenta.o

From: ttsig@pmki.com
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 21:31:11 EST

Quoting Matt Yourst <yourst@mit.edu>:

> It seems that 2.3.99-pre7 has intermittent problems when loading PCMCIA
> modules
> at boot time again: the system goes into a hard lockup after loading the
> yenta
> module in random cases. Interestingly, this only happens when the
> modules are
> rapidly loaded one after the other. (If I manually do modprobe on each
> module
> and then start cardmgr, the problem rarely happens.)

I have a Dell Inspiron 5000 with these exact symptoms with 2.3.99-pre7.
Manually loading the drivers has always worked for me, but loading from a script
and I can OOPS almost everytime (for whatever reason it will occassionally
work). For now I've been simply compiling Cardbus support in rather than using
modules.

Even with this I still have an issue with Cardbus support. When I load cardmgr
it tells me my adapter is not supported and cardinfo will not report any vendor
information. Basically I get no cardmgr functions, I think I'm using the
correct cardmgr, I downloaded the latest version I could find in the NEW
directory of the PCMCIA ftp site.

I have a Xircom Cardbus 10/100+Modem 56 (RBEM). It works flawlessly if I
manually modprobe the xircom_tulip_cb driver and if I down the interface and
remove the driver I can remove the card and it all works OK, but I can't remove
the card live, I assume this is because of my cardmgr problem.

Also, if I put the machine to sleep and wake it up the card will never power
back up. I can ifdown, remove the driver, modprobe, ifup and it recovers. I
suppose this is caused by the cardmgr as well. Isn't it charged with
reinitializing the PCMCIA/Cardbus cards after a wakeup event?

Anyone have any idea why my cardmgr won't work? These are basically my last
problems with the 2.3.99 kernels. I'm actually running 2.3.99-pre8 right now
but with Cardbus compiled in. I'll go back and try it modular if need be.

Later,
Tom