Re: serial.c

From: rkaiser@sysgo.de (rob@rob.devdep.sysgo.de)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 15:56:02 EST

In article <Pine.OSF.4.20.0005121420140.7990-100000@grace>,
        rfb6435@osfmail.isc.rit.edu (Rich Bryant) writes:
> On Sat, 13 May 2000, Nathan Hand wrote:
>
>> Sheesh, I still recall that one of the earlier Linux distros I used had
>> special installation instructions if you only had 2mb of ram. I was one
>> of the lucky ones because at the time I was proudly running with 4mb on
>> a 386. You can get a lot smaller than a 486 with 32mb.

That must have been pre-glibc. Things have gotten a lot worse
(from an embedded/low memory system perspective) since libc5 was
tossed.

> I realize that, but I don't have any type of disk drive.... My boot medium
> isn't large enough to hold the file system and kernel. I have plenty of
> ram after that, but it also has to be used as RAMDISK.

Nevertheless it _is_ possible to strip the system down to run in less
than 4MB RAM (_including_ a ramdisk ROOT-FS). The kernels I have
generated for my embedded Systems are typically around 650 KB
(uncompressed & stripped). I doubt that stripping down the code
in serial.c would reduce that by any significant amount.

Rob