serial.c

From: Rich Bryant (rfb6435@osfmail.isc.rit.edu)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 13:39:38 EST

This might be slightly off topic since I am actually working on an embedded
project, but I can't help but ask a few questions.

I have read the policy on commenting code and understand that over
commentign is a sin in many of your eyes. However, the idea that a person
should be able to understand the code with only limited effort is much
different for the low level drivers. When code is working this closely
with hardware "limited effort" means something completely different if you
have to dig through hardware specs, assembly definitions, etc just to have
a clue of what the code is doing. These are very specific actions and I
don't feel it is reasonable to think that someone can pick up the code and
understand it when there are a ton of #ifndef statments, scattered code in
multiple files and very limited comments.

I understand also that the collective probably doesn't want anyone with a
linux box re-writing all of their drivers. I am torn between that and the
fact that having the source code freely available is of no advantage to
anyone to is not spending his life working with it exclusively.

I find it hard to believe that there isn't a commented version of drivers
such as serial.c out there. If anyone has it and is willing to share I
would appreciate it. I would also be interested in a simple version that
only supports the 16550A.

TIA,

Richard F Bryant
Computer Engineering Technology