Re: Freewwweb.com at 700 bytes per second!

From: Richard Adams (pa3gcu@zeelandnet.nl)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 15:54:25 EST

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Bigelow . Mike wrote about, Freewwweb.com at 700 bytes per second!:
> Hi all
>
> I realize that I shouldn't ask for much when something is free (Linux being
> a glowing exception)
> but a BLAZING 700 bytes per second (and dropping 1 byte per second)
> is a little slow even in today's day and age.
>
> I suspect it's something on my system

You suspect,?? i SEE that something is wrong, but what, you dont give any
other information other than KPP and netscape, (netscape has nothing) to do
with "speed".

For your information 700 bytes per second is equal to a 9k6 'half duplex'
link.

I dont think we can put the blame on the software as most of us here on
this list have next to problem(less) links.
What we could put the blame on is a 'misconfigured system', but that would
be guessing.

I am not an expert on PPP but i do know that what you say makes no real
sence at all without seeing more info.

> The speed is the same on my desktop and laptop (one real and one win modem
> (with lucent driver))
> the same for all POP's I've tried and at all speeds set on kppp and ppp.
>
> I'm hoping there is a software switch or something I can change on my system
> that can speed things up.
>
> I'm running Mandrake 7.0 on both, KPPP as the dialer and Netscape as the
> browser.
>
> Any suggestions ?

Yes supply more info.

Output from ifconfig for ppp0
Any error messages regarding ppp0 in your logs.?? /var/log/messages
../syslog
Is your routing correct.??
Does the same hardware work properly with other operating systems.???

At this stage i would say, its like looking for a needle in a hay stack
with the info you supply.

--
Regards Richard
pa3gcu@zeelandnet.nl