Re: epic100.c eth driver in 99-pre7

From: Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 15:43:19 EST

On 9 May 2000, James H. Cloos Jr. wrote:

> Did more testing (this time w/ pre7-8).
>
> (I missed this in pre7-6, but at compile time, gcc complains that
> epic_init and epic_cleanup are defined but not used.)
> With debug=7, I got this:
> Also, attempts to rmmod(8) the module produce an OOPS. Unfortunately,
> although I had klogd -s running to catch it, it is not showing in the
> logs. It is at least easily reproducable, if you have an epic card.
> Happens every time w/o fail.

I don't mean to harp on this, but doesn't anyone even test changes before
putting them in the kernel? There have been many driver changes that had no
chance of working. Just a few minutes ago I got a message about the
starfire driver crashing the kernel during the probe routine. This wasn't an
operational problem which might only show up with some hardware and specific
configurations, it showed that the driver has never even been tried.

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Scyld Computing Corporation
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210
Annapolis MD 21403