Re: PC speaker driver (fwd)

From: volodya@mindspring.com
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 08:27:54 EST

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Ian Carr-de Avelon wrote:

> David.Woodhouse@mvhi.com Wrote:
> >avelon@emit.pl said:
> >The original driver produced by Michael Beck used major 13. It was changed
> >some time ago to register with the modular sound system as Yet Another
> >Sound Card, and hence to be on major 14 with all the other sound card
> >drivers.
> Minor point:- What if I want both? This is not too artificial as one of
> the things that has occured to me is that it should be possible to play
> a test signal via the PC speaker, record that with a sound card and analyse
> the recording to design a filter to add a lot of correction. I think part
> of the general problem with the speaker driver is that progresively smaller
> cheaper speakers have been put in by the makers, so generally only older PCs
> give something approaching AM sound.

Most computers that I saw have a small nice speaker (the sort you could
see in radios couple decades ago). The problem however is not with speaker
but with the way it is driven (on and off if I remember correctly).
That is the speaker can either be told to emit a square wave at a certain
frequency (which is used for beeps) or you can drive that square wave with
cpu. Hence unlike sound cards that have from 256 to 65536 gradations (or
more) pc speaker has 2.

                          Vladimir Dergachev