Re: Version numbering proposal (2.5.x.xx)

From: Deven T. Corzine (deven@ties.org)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 08:20:42 EST

> 2.4.xx Current stable release series. (Well, almost current.)
>
> 2.5.0.xx Initial integration -- No architectural changes allowed
> while the inevitable backlog of pending patches from the
> last stabilization effort are integrated and stabilized.
> The final 2.5.0.xx release should be re-released as a new
> 2.4.1 stable release. This series should resemble a
> combination of 2.5.8.xx and 2.5.9.xx below, and should be
> suitable for non-mission-critical production use. This is
> a fork from the stable series that re-merges once before
> diverging again for radical development work.

Let me amend this slightly. It probably makes more sense to have multiple
"sync points" where 2.5.0.xx -> 2.4.xx re-releases happen. Versions in the
2.5.0.xx series not re-released would be equivalent to pre-releases of
stable series.

In fact, to avoid "pre" releases in the stable series, it might make sense
to use (for example) 2.4.5.2 instead of 2.4.6-pre2, defining 2.4.xx as the
stable versions and 2.4.xx.xx as pre-stable versions. (This may obviate
the need for the 2.5.0.xx series described above, in which case the wild
experimentation could start with 2.5.0.0 and there could be one more level
of instability in the sequence.)

Anyway, what do people think of this scheme? It would let people decide
which kernels they'd be interested in running based on the version number,
with more precision than the current even/odd distinction...

Deven