Re: PC speaker driver (fwd)

From: Ian Carr-de Avelon (avelon@emit.pl)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 02:13:23 EST

volodya@mindspring.com Wrote:
>On Wed, 10 May 2000, Ian Carr-de Avelon wrote:
>> I think it depends on the inertia of the speaker rather than elecrical
>> capacitance. My point is that as the inertia of the speaker becomes
>> lower there is less filtering of the 18k component. Ie the speaker
>> cone starts to follow the square wave. I can hear a high piched whine
>> on new PCs which I don't notice on older PCs.
>> Yours
>> Ian
>
>This would suggest that speakers are actually getting _better_, since they
>are more accurately reproducing what you feed in..
Well, obviously the question is, better for what? If you think about
a hifi speaker, normally it has 3 speakers in the cabinet: a large
speaker for the base frequencies, a middle sized one (woofer) and a small
one (tweeter). I think that PCs have moved from woofers to tweeters to
reduce costs and a beep is a beep. With the speaker driver the hope is
that you will get AM sound so a bandwidth from 50Hz to a few kHz. A
speaker which has a bandwidth up to ten kHz or more gives us a problem,
which, as has been pointed out, you can fix with a soldering iron or
by using a higher frequency for the pulses (and so more CPU cycles).
Niether of these will get back missing low frequencies though.
Yours
Ian