Re: Possible TCP Problem with RH6.2 talking to Solaris2.6/2.7

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 15:09:48 EST

On Sun, 7 May 2000 kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> Hello!
>
> > eth0 1500 0 65251461 34 0 12 36945441 0 0
> > 0 BRU
>
> Wow! It overruns... No, it is not bus speed. I do not know what it is.
> I never saw overruns due to tcp in my life.

My machine is showing 3 TX overruns on eth0, having RXed 17.6m packets and
TXed 600k packets. Probably not TCP related, though. (And not enough of
them to worry about, I suspect.)

> > Well my guess is that while the Solaris box is under load, and the linux
> > box is under load, It causes the Case 1, in the original posting to occur?
>
> Ough. Please, please, make tcpdump.

That should help shed some light on the situation...

> > Case 1)
>
> Seems, I have to repeat, this one was not tcpdump from linux. 8)8)

This doesn't help :)

> > Would you belive that the lack of multiple ACK's is a Solaris problem,
> > that sould be reported as a Solaris Bug, or something that like sujected
> > is a error on the linux side?
>
> If that tcpdump is really tcpdump of solaris receiver, it definitely
> shows bugs. It really does not send duplicate acks and sender
> cannot recover from single loss.
>
> But real root of problem is not here. If ethernet is so fragile,
> you will have lots of troubles even if TCP stack is flawless.
> At least, it would not not fall to timeout in this case,
> if receiver were linux.

There is definitely something amiss...

Perhaps you could try that 3com NIC instead of the EtherEpress 100? **and
make sure the machines are NOT loaded**.

James.