Re: Possible TCP Problem with RH6.2 talking to Solaris2.6/2.7

From: kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 13:18:07 EST

Hello!

> eth0 1500 0 65251461 34 0 12 36945441 0 0
> 0 BRU

Wow! It overruns... No, it is not bus speed. I do not know what it is.
I never saw overruns due to tcp in my life.

> Well my guess is that while the Solaris box is under load, and the linux
> box is under load, It causes the Case 1, in the original posting to occur?

Ough. Please, please, make tcpdump.

> Case 1)

Seems, I have to repeat, this one was not tcpdump from linux. 8)8)

> Would you belive that the lack of multiple ACK's is a Solaris problem,
> that sould be reported as a Solaris Bug, or something that like sujected
> is a error on the linux side?

If that tcpdump is really tcpdump of solaris receiver, it definitely
shows bugs. It really does not send duplicate acks and sender
cannot recover from single loss.

But real root of problem is not here. If ethernet is so fragile,
you will have lots of troubles even if TCP stack is flawless.
At least, it would not not fall to timeout in this case,
if receiver were linux.

Alexey