Re: Linux 2.2.16pre2 isolated cdrom bootup module block device error!

From: Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 07:17:29 EST

On Fri, May 05 2000, M Sweger wrote:
> I'm getting the following problems upon bootup when rc.cdrom is run and it
> performs a "for loop" cycling through the devices for cdrom such as scd0,
> scd1, sonycd .... and it tries to mount it iso9660 until it gets one. In
> my case, it mounts /dev/hdd as my cdrom drive.
>
> 32X TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6202B IDE drive
>
> The errors I get are
>
> modprobe: can't locate module block-major-11
> modprobe: can't locate module block-major-15
> ..
> ..
> ..
>
> and all of the following too! 11,11,15,24,23,25,29,32,20,20,18.
> I assume the reason a number repeated twice is due to the block minor
> number.

Put something like this in your module.conf

alias block-major-11 off

and for the rest of them. The reason you are seeing these "errors" is
because it attempts to locate modules for every CD-ROM driver.

There's no nice way to do what your script is doing without something
like devfs that shows you what drivers are loaded.

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
*  Linux CD/DVD-ROM, SuSE Labs