Re: devfs persistence

From: Andries Brouwer (aeb@veritas.com)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 07:14:44 EST

On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 02:03:50AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:

: > inconvenient: this is not the right "level" for such
: > information, and partitions are a scarce resource.]
:
: Any spare bytes at the end of the lilo boot sector or is it the full 512 ?

That sounds like the line you deleted just above the two quoted lines:

.. or we must use some "unused" sectors on the disk (terrible),

I do not like to use space that "happens to be unused".
(But we just learned that IBM uses some unused sectors
to store the Drive Letter Assignment Table (DLAT) for OS/2.
They can do this because OS/2 does not live on many architectures.)

One of the reasons that such things are less appropriate
for Linux is that there is no reason to assume LILO is used
(even if there was space in the LILO boot sector, which there is not),
or that the disk has a DOS-type partition table.

Andries