Re: arp, kernel 2.2.15 and 2.3.99-pre6

From: Andrey Savochkin (saw@saw.sw.com.sg)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 21:16:07 EST

On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 10:57:00PM +0400, A.N.Kuznetsov wrote:
> Please, hold one statement involatile: you must answer to unicast
> ARP requests, not depending on anything. Host cannot know, how

Why? To keep existing flows?

> requestor got initial information about your MAC.
>
> Second: any scheme must be correlated with source address
> selection. If you advertised wrong address and do some ARP blocking,
> you introduce fatal bug.

IP source address selection is not a big deal.
ARP blocking is for "advanced administrators", they may think what they're
doing :->
Well, we may even especially warn them.

But, certainly, there is another important thing. It's source address
selection for ARP requests. The non-trivial case is forwarding of non-local
packets. That's the thing I need to think more about.

Best regards
                Andrey