Re: classzone-VM + mapped pages out of lru_cache

From: Craig Kulesa (ckulesa@loke.as.arizona.edu)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 21:16:06 EST

After applying classzone-22 (available at the below link) to 2.3.99pre7-4,
I am no longer experiencing the very reproduceable lockups in 'pine' and
'mutt' that I was receiving with classzone-18 against pre7-3. It has
nicely survived all that I've thrown at it, including 'dd' tests that put
stock pre7-4 into an OOM situation...

I'll be testing this patch on lower end hardware tonight, but on
128 + 64 MB boxes, the VM behavior seems much fairer and more balanced
than pre5, and without the intensive I/O overhead in pre6 and pre7-X. In
particular, the kswapd problem is gone; no more jumpy mouse pointers then
the hard disk light goes on... :)

Looks smooth -- thanks! Now to beat up on it some more... :)

Link, for completeness:
www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/patches/v2.3/2.3.99-pre7-pre4/

-Craig