Re: kernel-debugging

From: George Anzinger (george@pioneer.net)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 03:11:16 EST

Vinodkumar Parasmal wrote:

> Hi George/All,
> We were really stuck up with this kernel debugging , your timely
> support has helped us a lot .but there is one thing that is
> bugging again .when we put the .gdbinit file in the directory where
> vmlinux resides ,and start gdb vmlinux it says that you are using
> obsolete /dev/cua0 ,instead use /dev/ttyS0 .
>
> we just tested /dev/ttyS0 using cu command as follows ...,
> cu -l /dev/ttyS0
> it says
> cu : open (/dev/ttyS0 ): permission denied
> cu : /dev/ttyS0 :line in use,
> how do we get /dev/ttyS0 work for us .

Have you tried setserial(1) on /dev/ttyS0 ? If you look at the man page
for this you will find that it will tell you all about the device.
Check that there is real hardware underlying the /dev/ttyS0. Red hat
puts some 4 or 5 ttySx devices out there and some of them are over vapor
ware. Once you find the real device, make sure the permissions on the
file allow you to read/write to it.

Line in use may mean that a prior run on cu has not really quit. Use ps
-aux|grep ttyS0 to find users, or ps -aux|grep cu, if you know you used
cu on the port. cu forks and often only one of the two quits.

George