Linux doesn't recognize BSD disklabel...

From: Lars Kellogg-Stedman (lars@larsshack.org)
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 17:07:34 EST

I have a system that is dual booting Linux and FreeBSD. The linux kernel
*does* have BSD disklabel support build into the kernel (yes, I'm sure
about this), but it fails to recognize the BSD installation.

The system disk is partitioned like this:

  hda1: dos partition for System Commander
  hda2: FreeBSD (type = b5)
    <bsd swap>
    <bsd />
  hda3: extended partition
    hda5: linux swap
    hda6: linux /

I've also run into problems getting LILO to boot BSD (which will
eventually be crucial because I need to be able to switch between OSs
remotely. However, this isn't a kernel issue, so I only mention it
parenthetically).

Is there any way to force the kernel to read /dev/hda2 as a BSD
disklabel? Or is there any way to diagnose the problem?

-- Lars

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars@larsshack.org> --> http://www.larsshack.org/