Re: Linux doesn't recognize BSD disklabel...

From: Ion Badulescu (ionut@moisil.cs.columbia.edu)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 13:06:42 EST

In article <cs.lists.linux-kernel/20000502030004.A2130@veritas.com> you wrote:

> Your problem is that System Commander changes the partition type
> a5 of FreeBSD into b5. So, you might wish to adapt the code
>
> #ifdef CONFIG_BSD_DISKLABEL
> if (SYS_IND(p) == BSD_PARTITION ||
> SYS_IND(p) == NETBSD_PARTITION ||
> SYS_IND(p) == OPENBSD_PARTITION)
> bsd_disklabel_partition(hd, minor, SYS_IND(p));
> #endif
>
> in fs/partitions/msdos.c, or perhaps change the definition of
> BSD_PARTITION (in include/linux/genhd.h) from 0xa5 into 0xb5.

Or teach System Commander not to touch the damn thing. Unlike M$
CrapOS which panics whenever some not-invented-here partition
or filesystem appears in the system[1], Linux will usually handle
everything gracefully. If I remember correctly, you need to change
some option from Auto to None (or something like that) in the
System Commander menu entry for Linux.

[1] I know, I've had ghost drives appear out of the blue in Windows,
when I was using logical partitions for Linux. It really made my day
when my wife let scandisk "fix" the ghost drive. The only way to make
Windows happy was to change the extended partition (5) to a Linux
extended partition (85) [2].

[2] It's a shame that RedHat's installer doesn't recognize Linux
extended partitions.

Ion

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.