2.3.99pre6/devfs--unable to open initial console

From: Matthew Vanecek (linuxguy@directlink.net)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 03:56:43 EST

Just compiled 2.3.99pre6 for the umpteenth time with the same results.
Tried patches from two different sites (ftp.kernel.org and
ftp.uk.kernel.org), althought presumably there shouldn't be a
difference.

Compiled into the kernel are devfs and reiserfs (3.6.5), but I also
tried w/o the reiserfs with no difference.

Using devfsd 1.3.7, but that shouldn't matter, because that particular
warning (unable to open initial console) happens right before /sbin/init
is called in init/main.c, which means devfsd isn't (able to?) run yet.
The open of /dev/console fails, which generates the warning.

Relevant (more or less) sys. info:
I'm using gcc 2.95.2, glibc 2.1.3 on a kinda-sorta RH 6.0 system.
util-linux is 2.10h. Hardware is an AMD k62/3D-350 on an Asus P5A, a
BT-932 SCSI controller with a Seagate and an Ultrastar. Video is 3dfx
V3 3000, and I did compile framebuffer support and the appropriate 3dfx
driver, but not the DRI support. Virtual consoles, etc.

Note that 2.3.99pre5 with reiserfs and devfs worked correctly (well,
except for some shmget errors when trying to use sound--but it *does*
boot fine). The *only* thing I did first was to "make oldconfig" and
say No to the LVM support. Something changed from pre5 to pre6 which
causes this error, but I have no clue as to what. I'm somewhat
surprised to see no other posts--surely I'm not the only on to whom this
has happened?

Any thoughts on fixing this would be appreciated. Please CC replies to
me.

Thanks,

--
Matthew Vanecek