Re: 2.3.99pre6/devfs--unable to open initial console

From: david parsons (orc@pell.portland.or.us)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 14:24:55 EST

In article <linux.kernel.200004301905.e3UJ5ki21119@vindaloo.ras.ucalgary.ca>,
Richard Gooch <rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca> wrote:
>Jan Harkes writes:

>> I know there is a devfsd, but it is not like I am going to hotswap the
>> harddisk in my laptop anytime soon, so I don't see the point of that.
>> Fixed stuff in /dev/ and dynamic stuff in /devfs/ is just fine for me.
>
>What you've done is created two separate namespaces. You've just made
>things harder on yourself (and application writers).

   Regrettably, the new improved(tm) devfs namespace sucks, and is
   likely to continue to suck, so we've already got two separate
   namespaces floating around. If devfs is mounted on /devices, at
   least the new namespace doesn't stomp all over the old namespace,
   thus converting a perfectly usable test machine into a lifeless
   zombie.

                 ____
   david parsons \bi/ writing a translation module would take time, and
                  \/ there's a small screaming baby that wants all of that.