Re: kernel-debugging

From: George Anzinger (george@pioneer.net)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 04:16:43 EST

Dear Vinodkumar,

Lets assume that you have booted a good system and have verified that
the serial link works and that you have configured the host to the
indicated baud rate using setserial or stty. You should put a file
called .gdbinit in the top level kernel source directory (where vmlinux
shows up after a build):

set remotebreak 1
target remote /dev/ttyS3

(Note, change ttyS3 to your serial port name)

Now in that same "working directory" run "gdb vmlinux" or "xgdb vmlinux"
or from emacs: M-x gdb followed by "gdb vmlinux". This last is the way
I like to do it.

That should do it.

George