Re: IO scheduling problem in 2.3.99-pre6

From: Adam J. Richter (adam@yggdrasil.com)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 00:55:15 EST

Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br> wrote:
>On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Joerg Stroettchen wrote:

>> doesn`t help. The last kernel with normal I/O-behaviour is
>> pre-6-7. pre6 as well as pre-6-7+the patch van Riel posted
>> yesterday behave more than strange when running a "bonnie -s
>> 300". Performance-Breakdown starts just when memory becomes
>> short and the new VM-code starts to work preventing the system
>> effectivly from writing to disk

>This is strange to hear. I've done some bonnie tests and
>haven't found anything except sometimes high cpu usage of
>kswapd.

I also noticed that kswapd was in the running state during these
period of substantial slowness (when it would take two seconds for
the mouse and keyboard echoing to catch up, for example). I was able
to trigger it by doing kernel builds. Sorry for not including this
information in my original message.

Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
adam@yggdrasil.com \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034
fax +1 408 261-6631 "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."