Re: CONFIG_SWAPPING?

From: lars brinkhoff (lars.brinkhoff@intermec.com)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 01:59:00 EST

Val Henson wrote:
> Have you seen Graham Stoney's cool new dead function removing patch? It
> seems like a really good way to optimize out unused code without having
> to ifdef/config things quite so much.

Yes, but I won't think it would remove the swapping code just because
I never enabled swapping in the boot sequence. All references to the
swapping code would have to be removed.

> On the other hand, if you submitted a
> patch implementing swapping as a config option, it would almost certainly
> get accepted since there seems to be quite a number of people who don't
> want or need swap.

I've been told that the swapping code is heavily integrated with the
virtual managment code, so I guess it would be difficult and/or too
many #ifdefs in the code to be acceptable.

I'm still interested in a stripped-down mm subsystem more tuned for
embedded systems, but it'll have to wait for later.