Re: devfs persistence

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 22:56:39 EST

Rodger Wilson writes:
> All SCSI 3 and (I think) most SCSI 2 devices have a unique
> identifier that is burned into their epprom to help identify them.
> Within a SAN we might have millions of drives comming and going, and
> we need to be able to identify drives by something other than Target
> id. Because the target id could change on us dynamically.

Does this apply to SCSI takes as well?

> Also we need to be able to uniquely identify a drive because it might be
> attached to a computer through 1, 2, 3 .... io cards within the system.
>
> This way if someone was to trip over a connection to a drive, the
> system can easily identify that the *SAME* device is accessable
> through a different controller.

This is similar to the UUIDs and labels I described earlier. Labels
have the advantage of being human-friendly. Anyway, since we have a
way of uniquely identifying SCSI discs, we're fine. We just need the
support. Trawl the kernel archives for my plan.

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca