Re: Adaptec SCSI Driver fails during mirroring failover testing (2.2.15/2.3.99-pre6)

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 22:44:23 EST

Doug,

I downloaded the 5.1.24-5.1.29 patches for the Adaptec Driver as you
directed me to do, and I tested them with a little better luck, but not
much. I also checked over the POCA and it does appear that we have the
jumpers on the SCSI backplane all configured correctly for both buses
(wanted to make certain the buses were terminated correctly for the
slots we were using).

After I pull disk 0 on bus 0 out of the system during mirrored I/O this
is what gets printed on the screen. The newer drivers seem to have
stopped the scrolling problem, so there's more info to report and it
retries and reprints this info every two or three seconds over and over
(/dev/sdb is the Linux root volume on this system, not /dev/sda).

SCSI Disk I/O error: dev 08:00 sector XXXXXXXX (this number cycles
through different LBA offsets)
scsidisk I/O error: host 0 channel 0 id 8 lun 0 return code = 26030000
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
SCSI0: resetting for second half of retries
[ ... this message repeats over and over on the system console ... ]

After I reinsert the hard disk drive, I then start getting a different
error, which is:

scsidisk I/O error: host 0 channel 0 id 8 lun 0 return code = 280000002
[valid=0] Info fld=0x0 Current sd08:00 sense Key not ready
Additional sense indicates logical unit not ready, initializing command
required
[ ... this message also repeats over and over on the system console ...
]

After about 10 minutes, the system finally completely feezes up, and has
to be powered down and restarted. I put in a couple of IDE disks on
this box to make certain this was SCSI specific, mirrored them, then
jerked out a drive while I/O was in process, the system recovered.

:-)

Jeff