Re: devfs persistence

From: Rodger Wilson {I/O Software} (Rodger.Wilson@central.sun.com)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 14:05:11 EST

All SCSI 3 and (I think) most SCSI 2 devices have a unique identifier that
is burned into their epprom to help identify them. Within a SAN we might
have millions of drives comming and going, and we need to be able to
identify drives by something other than Target id. Because the target id
could change on us dynamically.

Also we need to be able to uniquely identify a drive because it might be
attached to a computer through 1, 2, 3 .... io cards within the system.

This way if someone was to trip over a connection to a drive, the system
can easily identify that the *SAME* device is accessable through a
different controller.

Rodger Wilson
Target and SCSI Drivers (Sun Microsystems, Inc.)
DIRECT: (303) 272-8252 HOME: (303) 499-9498
FAX: (303) 272-7793 CELL: (303) 669-7955
PAGER: (303) 203-8561 EMAIL: Rodger.Wilson@sun.com