Re: 2.3.99-pre6-pre7 sync_page in remove_inode_page

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 20:56:51 EST

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> It seems not necessary to me. unmap_buffer from flushpage is the mechanism
> that is supposed to take care of clearing the dirty bit and to wait for
> I/O completation (uplugging the device if necessary). If that wouldn't be
> true then we would have visible corruption going on and we would be
> reading a flood of fs corruption reports on l-k ;).

Good catch. I would tend to agree.

I suspect, but I'll let Trond answer this, that Trond just wanted to avoid
letting pending read-aheads pass past the vmtruncate(). It definitely does
nothing for the block device layer, and I suspect that it doesn't much
help on NFS either, except for forcing some ordering of the NFS requests
that shouldn't be required..

Trond?

                Linus