Re: 3c590

From: Andrew Morton (andrewm@uow.edu.au)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 20:17:16 EST

khromy wrote:

> Hello Andrew,
>
> I just compiled 2.3.99-pre6-7 with your patch, and I was still
> having the transmit timeouts. This seems to happen when I first
> try to make a connection to the other system after that all other
> connections to the system are ok.

Sounds like a media selection problem. This was changed a bit on the
path from 3c59x to 3c575_cb. I suspect that it's sorting itself out
after sixty seconds?

This is quite unacceptable because having no network at boot time plays
havoc with DHCP, NIS, etc.

If you have time, could you please grab Don's diagnostic tools:

ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/diag/mii-diag.c
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/diag/vortex-diag.c

and send me (off-list) the output of 'vortex-diag -aa' and 'mii-diag'
when the link is both good and bad? (mii-diag probably won't work...).

Also, it would be interesting to add 'options=0x00' to the 3c59x module
insertion command. Adding

options 3c59x options=0x00

to /etc/conf.modules should do this for you.

Thanks.

--
-akpm-