Re: PROBLEM: Linux SCSI Reset With Tekram DC390-U2W and NCR/SYM Drivers

From: Gérard Roudier (groudier@club-internet.fr)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 02:45:11 EST

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Evan DiBiase wrote:

> [1.] One line summary of the problem: Linux resets the SCSI bus fairly often
> with the Tekram DC390-U2W.

`Summary' should not be a synonym of `bare claim'. Such a statement is
probably untrue given the great success of this controller under Linux.

> [2.] Full description of the problem/report: Linux resets the SCSI bus
> (seemingly at random times) due to what is apparently an error with it getting
> the status on my CD-R drive. I've attached output from /var/log/messages and
> dmesg that are from a reset I've just experienced.

I didn't see the attachments. You may want to sent me them directly.

> [3.] Keywords (i.e., modules, networking, kernel): kernel, scsi
>
> [4.] Kernel version (from /proc/version): Linux version 2.2.14-5.0
> (root@porky.devel.redhat.com) (gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux
> (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #1 Tue Mar 7 21:07:39 EST 2000
>
> [5.] Output of Oops.. message (if applicable) with symbolic information
> resolved (see Documentation/oops-tracing.txt): N/A
>
> [6.] A small shell script or example program which triggers the
> problem (if possible): N/A (Sometimes after the CD-R has spun down,
> however, and a program spins it up again (accesses it), a reset will happen. I'm
> not sure if this is the case 100% of the time).
>
> [7.] Environment: Fresh Red Hat 6.2 install; seems to happen in Red Hat most
> frequently but has happened in Slackware 7, and Debian "freeze." DOES NOT appear
> to happen in FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE, Windows NT4 SP6a, or Windows 98 First Edition.

Could you check what driver is actually used for your board under the
Linux O/S variants and FreeBSD-4.0 and let me know.

I would prefer the SYM (`sym53c8xx' under Linux and `sym' under FreeBSD)
driver to be the one selected for your controller. This should be the case
under FreeBSD-4.0/Release, but it seems that Linux-OS packagers do
differently.

> [7.1.] Software (add the output of the ver_linux script here)
> Linux signal.members.wplug.org 2.2.14-5.0 #1 Tue Mar 7 21:07:39 EST 2000 i686
> unknown
> Kernel modules 2.3.10-pre1
> Gnu C egcs-2.91.66
> Binutils 2.9.5.0.22
> Linux C Library 2.1.3
> Dynamic linker ldd (GNU libc) 2.1.3
> Procps 2.0.6
> Mount 2.10f
> Net-tools 1.54
> Console-tools 0.3.3
> Sh-utils 2.0
> Modules Loaded es1371 soundcore nls_iso8859-1 ppp slhc lockd sunrpc
> tulip ncr53c8xx
>
> [7.2.] Processor information (from /proc/cpuinfo):
> processor : 0
> vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family : 6
> model : 1
> model name : AMD-K7(tm) Processor
> stepping : 2
> cpu MHz : 704.938463
> cache size : 512 KB
> fdiv_bug : no
> hlt_bug : no
> sep_bug : no
> f00f_bug : no
> coma_bug : no
> fpu : yes
> fpu_exception : yes
> cpuid level : 1
> wp : yes
> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr 6 mce cx8 sep mtrr pge 14 cmov fcmov 22
> mmx 30 3dnow
> bogomips : 702.87
>
> [7.3.] Module information (from /proc/modules):
> es1371 25092 0
> soundcore 2628 4 [es1371]
> nls_iso8859-1 2240 1 (autoclean)
> ppp 19500 2 (autoclean)
> slhc 4312 1 (autoclean) [ppp]
> lockd 30344 1 (autoclean)
> sunrpc 52132 1 (autoclean) [lockd]
> tulip 31168 1 (autoclean)
> ncr53c8xx 51424 5
>
> [7.4.] SCSI information (from /proc/scsi/scsi)
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
> Vendor: MATSHITA Model: CD-R CW-7503 Rev: 1.06
> Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
> Vendor: IBM Model: DNES-309170W Rev: SA30
> Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 03
>
> [7.5.] Other information that might be relevant to the problem
> (please look in /proc and include all information that you
> think to be relevant):
>
> [X.] Other notes, patches, fixes, workarounds: I am not subscribed to this
> mailing list; I would appreciate it if I could be CC'd any replies to this
> message.

Most SCSI problems are caused by something being just wrong on the SCSI
BUS. Checking and fixing if necessary your SCSI BUS is the first thing to
care about. As you certainly know, the DC-390U2W uses a LVD-to-SE
converter to allow both LVD and SE to be used simultaneously by the
PCI-SCSI chip (SYM53C895). You may let me know the arrangement of your
devices and terminators regarding these 2 SCSI BUS chunks.

Gérard.