Re: PROBLEM: Linux SCSI Reset With Tekram DC390-U2W and NCR/SYM Drivers

From: Evan DiBiase (evand@telerama.com)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 13:52:53 EST

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, [ISO-8859-1] Gérard Roudier wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Evan DiBiase wrote:
>
> > [1.] One line summary of the problem: Linux resets the SCSI bus fairly often
> > with the Tekram DC390-U2W.
>
> `Summary' should not be a synonym of `bare claim'. Such a statement is
> probably untrue given the great success of this controller under Linux.

Point taken. Regardless, it is happening, I assure you.

> > [2.] Full description of the problem/report: Linux resets the SCSI bus
> > (seemingly at random times) due to what is apparently an error with it getting
> > the status on my CD-R drive. I've attached output from /var/log/messages and
> > dmesg that are from a reset I've just experienced.
>
> I didn't see the attachments. You may want to sent me them directly.

Ack! I forgot to include the file. Unfortunately, I've re-installed
this system and forgot to back-up the file. When it happens again,
I'll attach the file. Basically, I think it had to do with the status
of the CD-R not being able to be determined.

> Could you check what driver is actually used for your board under the
> Linux O/S variants and FreeBSD-4.0 and let me know.

FreeBSD was using the Symbios driver, if I remember correctly. Red Hat
uses the NCR53C8xx driver, but I can easily use the module for Symbios
instead. I've gotten the resets using both.

> Most SCSI problems are caused by something being just wrong on the SCSI
> BUS. Checking and fixing if necessary your SCSI BUS is the first thing to
> care about. As you certainly know, the DC-390U2W uses a LVD-to-SE
> converter to allow both LVD and SE to be used simultaneously by the
> PCI-SCSI chip (SYM53C895). You may let me know the arrangement of your
> devices and terminators regarding these 2 SCSI BUS chunks.

Well, I've had people look at it who are much more experienced with
SCSI than I. It appears everything is connected correctly, but I'll
take a look again to see how things are connected, and I'll tell you
what I find.

-Evan