Re: Endless kernel Oops with plain 2.3.99-pre5

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 03:05:29 EST

On 23 Apr 2000 09:30:02 +0200,
Sascha Ziemann <szi@aibon.ping.de> wrote:
>I tried to run ksymoops without proc and modules. I have specified
>the kernel image and symbols from the crashing 2.3.99-pre5, but
>ksymoops itself runs on 2.0.38 and was compiled on that. I don't
>know, if the output is useful, but I don't get a warning or error, so
>I think it is ok:

It is fine. ksymoops is designed to compile independent of the kernel
and to run against any kernel output that ksymoops knows about. The
system you compile on and the system you run on can be totally
different from the failing system. If your binutils are setup for
cross compilation, you can even run ksymoops on one architecture to
decode an oops from another architecture, you just need to feed
ksymoops the remote versions of ksyms, lsmod and System.map as text
files instead of defaulting to the /proc files on the live system. So
decoding a 2.3.99 oops on a 2.0.38 system is trivial.