Re: Memory + FileSystem issue (2.3.99-preX) (SERIOUS NEW BUG?)

From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd@Op.Net)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 23:29:52 EST

>From: "Terry Katz" <katz@advanced.org>
>Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 11:47:27 -0400
>Subject: Memory + FileSystem issue (2.3.99-preX)?
>
>We noticed something weird that happens between the filesystem and memory
>usage under the 2.3.99 series (we started using them at pre3, and are now at
>pre6-5)..
>
>When writing a file (in this case, a large test file), as the file gets
>larger, the amount of memory gets larger. I tested this by using dd to
>create up to a 300 meg file, and watched the memory usage .. As the file
>size grew, so did the mem usage.. I cancelled out of the dd when the memory
>was over 95% (over 200meg) utilized and waited a bit (bout 30 seconds) ..
>and the amount of memory used stayed at over 95%... if I deleted the file
>then the usage immediately dropped to under 50meg used...

I have noticed exactly the same problem when I moved from 2.3.51 to
2.3.99-pre5 a couple of days ago. In fact, its so bad, that a disk
performance test program that writes 500MB of data won't even
complete! My audio HDR system ardour, which works fine under 2.3.51
cannot get close to its intended performance under 2.3.99pre-5 - as
soon as we have written more than a few 100MB, it grinds to a halt.

The more general effects also happen - other programs with GUI's
on them, and X in general, cease to become responsive, though they do
not stop altogether.

Interestingly, dumpe2fs(8), when run at a point while the disk writer
apps are slowed down to a crawl, will also hang until the files are
removed.

This appears to me to be a very serious problem. I will be willing to
provide substantial help anyone who can make suggestions on how to
debug this.

--p