Re: [Linux-Perf] [ANNOUNCE] Powertweak v0.1.13

From: Dave Jones (dave@denial.force9.co.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 19:45:17 EST

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Paul Jakma wrote:

> I gather the intention is that your powertweak is (or already
> has in 2.3??) to replace the pci-quirks code in linux.

PCI bridge tuning in particular was the original aim.

> I have 2 boards that use Via southbridges, one a TMC super 7 with a
> VT82C586 and the other a Asus K7 board with VT82C686.
> Linux 2.2 pci-quirks seems to enable a work-around for ISA DMA hangs
> with these southbridges. However 2.3 does not, and i am having
> problems with my ISA soundcard (kernel reports "DMA timed out").

Umm, I just checked 2.3.99pre6-3, and the code is there.
line 178 quirks.c
The 686 is afaik immune from this problem..

Tried enabling persistent DMA buffers ?

> I can't eliminate the possibility that it's due to the ISA DMA bugs
> in the Via ISA-PCI bridge because your powertweak doesn't yet support
> Via southbridges.

586(A/B) PCI->ISA is supported.

> So could you check out some of the linux 2.2 pci-quirks and add
> it to powertweak for us 2.3 users?

It may make sense to go back the other way for users of older
kernels. I know a lot of people still using 2.0.x, and I imagine
when we get to 2.4 quite a lot will stick with 2.2 for a while.

> PS: one little point... powertweak will need to be run very early on
> in the boot process, as such it /needs/ to be a pure commandline
> app.

*nod* And thats why the main program is just a tool that
reads config file, and does its voodoo with PCI bus.

> The GTK+ and curses gui aren't that important.

The alternative is hand hacking a config file.
Which is feasable with documentation/grepping sources.

regards,

--
Dave.