Re: [Linux-Perf] [ANNOUNCE] Powertweak v0.1.13

From: Paul Jakma (paul@clubi.ie)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 19:22:34 EST

Hi Dave,

I gather the intention is that your powertweak is (or already
has in 2.3??) to replace the pci-quirks code in linux.

I have 2 boards that use Via southbridges, one a TMC super 7 with a
VT82C586 and the other a Asus K7 board with VT82C686.

Linux 2.2 pci-quirks seems to enable a work-around for ISA DMA hangs
with these southbridges. However 2.3 does not, and i am having
problems with my ISA soundcard (kernel reports "DMA timed out").

I can't eliminate the possibility that it's due to the ISA DMA bugs
in the Via ISA-PCI bridge because your powertweak doesn't yet support
Via southbridges.

So could you check out some of the linux 2.2 pci-quirks and add
it to powertweak for us 2.3 users?

thanks,

Paul Jakma.

PS: one little point... powertweak will need to be run very early on
in the boot process, as such it /needs/ to be a pure commandline
app. The GTK+ and curses gui aren't that important.