Re: memory handling in pre5/pre6

From: Martin Josefsson (gandalf@wlug.westbo.se)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 04:50:03 EST

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Lech Szychowski wrote:

> > Question is, have any of you actually noticed a performance
> > hit because of this or are you just seeing different numbers
> > than what you're used to and automatically assuming that it
> > must be wrong?
>
> I've noticed the machine dropping dead, that's why I'm worried.
> It did not happen before even though I had just 128MB RAM and
> the machine was doing pretty much the same.

I see these problems too. I don't think this problem existed in 2.3.47, as
I ran that one for quite a while without any problems. But now with pre6-2
everything, and I mean everything is very sluggish. Even just moving the
mousepointer over the buttons in netscape sometimes make my machine swap.

I've noticed that the IDE performance is right doen the drain too.
The machine almost stops respondig completely when there's quite heavy
activity on the IDE-bus. The best way for me to reproduce this is to burn
a CD with my IDE-CDR. As an example, running 'du' in my homedirectory
(consists of about 700MB in various files) takes 1-2 minutes during
burning a cd. It's alot faster without the active cd-r (tha harddrive is
hdc and the cdr is hdd). But it's still not as fast as 2.3.47 was.

Under 2.3.47 the disk-responsiveness during a burn was faster than under
a idle pre6-2.

Maybe it's because of the memoryproblem.

             total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 126796 124596 2200 0 1240 84808
-/+ buffers/cache: 38548 88248
Swap: 268048 63232 204816

If I recall correctly... I only had 2-5MB of swap in use with 2.3.47 after
several days of uptime. The output above is from 2.3.99pre6-2 with only
12h uptime and the same programs as with 2.3.47 running.

/Martin

--
The three best things about going to school are June, July, and August.