Re: devfs - why not ?

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 16:44:37 EST

> At some point people are going to realize that all the hacky magic that
> has to happen before they can access devices sanely is far uglier than
> /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3, and this insanity will be trashbinned....

Whats this c0t0d0s3. Thats woefully inadequate to describe a volume that
is on a kernel managed multichanger on a fibrechannel fabric 8)

Finding physical devices and finding volumes are two seperate problems. UUID's
solve the volume problem. It solves 'find my home dir, find the root stick them
here and here'. It doesnt solve 'format this tape'