Re: devfs - why not ?

From: allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 16:50:45 EST

On 13 Apr, Alan Cox wrote:
+-----
| > At some point people are going to realize that all the hacky magic that
| > has to happen before they can access devices sanely is far uglier than
| > /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3, and this insanity will be trashbinned....
|
| Whats this c0t0d0s3. Thats woefully inadequate to describe a volume that
| is on a kernel managed multichanger on a fibrechannel fabric 8)
+--->8

True, but similar schemes are possible.

| Finding physical devices and finding volumes are two seperate problems. UUID's
| solve the volume problem. It solves 'find my home dir, find the root stick them
| here and here'. It doesnt solve 'format this tape'
+--->8

Yes, and it appears that not a whole lot of thought (beyond "oh, we'll
invent volume names that we can somehow force everyone to use") has
gone into that issue.

If I have to run a freaky userspace probe to identify where some
block device that I need to access not as a filesystem went on this
boot, and modify said probe to deal with the possible content of
that block device when a new possibility pops up, I've lost.

--
brandon s. allbery	   os/2,linux,solaris,perl	allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	   kthkrb,heimdal,gnome,rt	  allbery@ece.cmu.edu