Re: pcmcia tulip.o [was What to do with 3c59x.c?]

From: David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 03:00:59 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Andrew, that's _exactly_ what I do with "tulip.o" - I just compile it
> into the kernel.
>
> And it works wonderfully well with pcmcia.

with all due respect, compiling tulip into the kernel causes an instant dead
machine on boot w/ a tulip pcmcia card installed. it explodes nicely with a
pretty shower of call traces. userland isn't ever reached.

on the other hand, i can modprobe it after it's booted and it appears to
install fine and dandy, i can access it, config it etc, but no packets come in
or go out.

i have two cardbus cards that do this. both use the tulip driver. one is the
linksys, one is the ambicom.

on the other hand, i've figured out how to eject my ray_cs card 99% of the
time without killing the machine as opposed to killing it 99% of the time.
(note: kill, not "oops"). cardctl suspend, pause, cardctl eject, pause, then
kill cardmgr/do whatever, but don't try putting it back in, the kernel locks
up without an oops.

(kernel 2.3.99-pre5 and i saw a diff against ray_cs in pre6-1 to try next)
-d