Re: pcmcia tulip.o [was What to do with 3c59x.c?]

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 09:52:24 EST

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, David Ford wrote:

> with all due respect, compiling tulip into the kernel causes an instant dead
> machine on boot w/ a tulip pcmcia card installed. it explodes nicely with a
> pretty shower of call traces. userland isn't ever reached.

Not for me. And I have the ambicom card as well. Do you get a trace for
the crash?

It's probably more likely to be a pcmcia driver problem than a tulip
driver problem, so you are probably blaming the wrong driver.

> on the other hand, i can modprobe it after it's booted and it appears to
> install fine and dandy, i can access it, config it etc, but no packets come in
> or go out.

The "no packets" problem is almost always interrupt-related. Does the
tulip driver say something like "tx timed out"?

> on the other hand, i've figured out how to eject my ray_cs card 99% of the
> time without killing the machine as opposed to killing it 99% of the time.
> (note: kill, not "oops"). cardctl suspend, pause, cardctl eject, pause, then
> kill cardmgr/do whatever, but don't try putting it back in, the kernel locks
> up without an oops.
>
> (kernel 2.3.99-pre5 and i saw a diff against ray_cs in pre6-1 to try next)

Again, the problem is equally likely to be pcmcia on your machine than
necessarily the ray_cs driver itself. I'd like to see the pcmcia bootup
messages, and if possible a full trace of the oops with the tulip driver.

                Linus