Re: What to do with 3c59x.c?

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 01:59:24 EST

In article <38F492C5.D5468643@uow.edu.au>,
Andrew Morton <andrewm@uow.edu.au> wrote:
>Jeff Garzik wrote:
>>
>> What makes you think this? The source should not need to be compiled
>> twice. The PCI driver interface is designed to seamlessly support
>> hotplug and non-hotplug.
>
>One example: 3c59x.o could have been compiled for static (non-modular)
>use. Copying that onto 3c575cb.o and insmodding it wouldn't work very
>well :)

Andrew, that's _exactly_ what I do with "tulip.o" - I just compile it
into the kernel.

And it works wonderfully well with pcmcia.

PCMCIA does _not_ require modules. In fact, it would be a bug to load
the _cb module when the non-cb one is already compiled into the kernel.
There's absolutely no reason to have two object files, but if you want
to maintain compatibility with the old pcmcia scripts you could have a
symlink (/lib/modules/xxx/pcmcia/3c575cb.o -> /lib/modules/xxx/net/3c59x.o)

                Linus